- Explore the charming back streets and traditional Japanese lanterns of this ancient Japanese capital
- Try to catch a glimpse of a kimono-clad 'Geisha' in Kyoto's Gion area
- Included Japanese food and drink samples
- Small group trip limited to no more than 12 guests
Departure & Return
Entrance to Gion Corner, by Hanamikoji Dori, Gionmachi Minamigawa area, Higashiyama ward, Kyoto. GPS coordinates: 35°00'05.7"N 135°46'29.0"E Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///scoring.braced.renders
Shijo - Karasuma station
What To Expect
Travel through Kyoto’s well-known ‘Geisha’ district, Gion, as you stop by Minamiza Theatre. If you’re lucky you might even catch a glimpse of one of these kimono-clad hostesses as they pass down the area’s narrow alleys. Continue next to Yasaka Shrine to enjoy the site’s celebratory mood and the throngs of locals who come for the numerous street food vendors who set up shop nearby. Everything from squid snacks to frozen bananas are available for purchase.
Pass through the backstreets of Gion, noticing the contrast of this area’s more modern nightspots with the historic architecture from earlier in your walk, continuing across Kyoto’s Kamo River. On the other side is Pontocho, an entertainment area of bars and eateries lit by traditional lanterns that have been located at this site for many centuries.
Proceed next to Teramachi, a retail area famous for its diverse range of retailers selling everything from ‘manga’ comics to Japanese booksellers to shops peddling Buddhist altars and sushi knife stores. Finish your walking excursion at a ‘tachinomiya,’ a Japanese-style ‘stand and drink shop’ where you can sample some typical food and drink. End your trip at Shijo-Karasuma station.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Modest dress is highly recommended as you will be visiting a shrine (It is recommended to have your shoulders and knees covered.)
- Small group is a maximum of 12 people
- Some food allergies can be accommodated; please advise your local tour operator at the time of booking
- Minimum age is 20 years
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Effective Sept 1, 2021, travellers 18+ must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Children 6-17 must present a negative COVID-19 test (PCR or lateral flow) conducted maximum 72 hours prior, proof of recovery dated up to 9 months or proof of vaccination. View full policy at urbanadventures.com/vaccine.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Urban Adventures - Japan
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms