Things to Do in Kyoto This Spring
Spring is a lovely time to visit Kyoto—flowers are in bloom, the parks and temple gardens come to life after the winter, and the temperatures are warm. Cherry-blossom-viewing parties ( hanami ) are a popular local pastime and a fun way to experience Japanese culture and nature. Here are a few other must-do activities to enjoy in Kyoto this spring.
- Take a city tour to visit must-see sights such as the Golden Temple, Kiyomizu-dera, and the Arashiyama district.
- Learn about the traditional art of the tea ceremony from a tea master.
- Dip into Japanese history by training like a samurai at a samurai school.
- Relax on a sightseeing rickshaw tour of the bamboo forests of Sagano.
- Get an intimate perspective of Kyoto’s historic neighborhoods—such as famous Gion—on a guided walking tour.
- Gain some new cooking skills by taking a Japanese-cooking class, many of which include market or neighborhood tours beforehand.
- Experience the best of Kyoto’s drinking and dining scene on a nightlife tour.
- If you’re in Kyoto when the cherry trees bloom, don’t miss a local cherry-blossom-viewing party.
- Dress in traditional Japanese clothing and have some special souvenir photos taken on a professional photo shoot.